Monday, July 9, 2007

July 9

I am already learning so much on the first day of class. Blogging seems to be a good way to record student's journaling and I think there can be many applications. Is this blogging site free, or would my school district need to subscribe? It will be good to know the process of stetting up a blog for each individual group of classroom students. This is something I would love to introduce during the first few weeks of school to really get some students interested in doing more writing and to have more writing practice. Students could access the site from home too and that would be very convenient for them. I did have some glitches so far though. When I posted my survey for the online survey/quizzes, I posted it and it took me to the surveymonkey homepage. I wasn't sure if it has been saved to the "Evaluating Resources" folder. Also, when I tried to access blogger.com from home, it would not take my passcode (thought I might have inserted a wrong user name), but after I changed my password it let me in. It asked for a google account before the attempt to get into the site so maybe this new code will work the next time I try. If not, I may need a little trouble-shooting tomorrow. This is exciting because it is new, but is confusing at times and I'm sure I will get much better as the course progresses. I hope to become quite computer literate!

3 comments:

Sunny G said...

Mary I agree that blogging is a very good way to track student's journaling, I also think that the students would really enjoy this task of writing. Good question is this for free?

Jill said...

As an English teacher, you know I agree with the idea of journaling and reflective writing via blogging. I believe if the writing topic is relevant, and the kids know that their words are private (a cool function of blogger.com), they will really blossom in their writing. "Freedom Writers" proved this!

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Hi Mary
I really enjoyed reading your reflection. Thank you for keeping an open mind and being so willing to explore these new tools. You also have brought up some very smart points. Blogger and most blogging resources are free! Now, some of them do have advertising (which I know many teachers like to avoid). But there are other blogging resources specifically made for schools such as Gaggle.net which has a filtered service...In addition here is a list of blogs that are mostly free and common for schools to use Blog List

Even if you password protect your blog, I always recommend to teachers to get parents to sign a permission form to let them know how and when the blogs will be used. Also I think it is great when you give parents access, so they can comment on their children's work.