Wednesday, July 18, 2007

July 18


So many ideas are going around in my head right now. The rubric generating sites we looked at today are going to be so useful to me in my own classes and for the teachers I assist in Literacy Coaching. The neat thing is that there are many already-generated rubrics, but there is also room to customize for specific assignments, objectives, and individual students. I am planning to have a notebook of ready-made rubrics when I get back to school in the fall and this will free me up to do some more creative applications during the time that I might ordinarily have to spend generating my own rubrics from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel when I can be moving on to the real part of my job--teaching. The Treasure hunt sites were also most useful and I plan to explore them further. I really like the idea that the sites had specific activities and resources geared toward different levels. The RIF site had middle school items, usually more difficult to find. My Powerpoint is shaping up and I am enjoying the process and am trying to be creative with adding more items to keep the interest of viewers as the slides progress. Finally, I am looking forward to beginning the digital storybook because I am planning to make a piece that will be useful for my struggling readers in my eighth grade Reading Workshop. It is so exciting to find fresh and useful ideas and activities for the classroom and for professional development.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

The rubric websites were very beneficial today. I really like your idea about putting together a book of already made rubrics. That is such a good idea and a great time saver. Come September time flies by so fast so it will be nice to have a stack of rubrics already available for different subject areas.

Sunny G said...

Mary, I also thought that the rubric sites were very beneficial. I like the fact that you can modify them to best fit your own students.

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

I just wanted to say that I am enjoying your ever-changing blog! Keep playing with the tools!